Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I suspect Pete Townsend visited the Caprock of Texas

My fam and I just got back from a camping trip in an area the locals refer to as the Breaks -- that's the edge of the geographical feature called the Caprock in the Texas Panhandle/ New Mexico area. The land 'breaks' off along a rough line and if you're standing on the east side of it you can see for miles and miles and miles >;-)

We had a great time roughing it and testing our limits against the harshness of the landscape. The rain lashed at us when the sun wasn’t burnishing our skin and the wind blew hard, rattling our tents and our nerves.

But the sky! Oh, it unfurled like a canopy beneath our campsite, stretching like infinity.

Coming from the east coast, I was used to seeing the sky obscured by tightly packed buildings, suburban sprawl or, when we could get far enough out, veiled by a covering of trees. My mountains were the Blue Ridge Mountains. I'd traveled several times through them to my father's place in Texas. Traveling those mountain roads was like driving through a green tunnel.

Even living in Tyler TX, ensconced in the Piney Woods ecoregion, I never got the sense of myself spinning in space on this big rock we call Earth at roughly 800+/- miles per hour, tethered only by that vaguely understood physical law called gravity. As a child I viewed the sky framed by familiar structures, safely seated on the hood of my parent's car. My horizon consisted of my neighbors' rooftops.

It wasn't until I came to the Texas panhandle, surrounded by miles of flat, sparse landscape that I fully apprehended that sense of "Whoa. That sky up there? It's big." I remember likening the vista to a vast soup bowl of inky, star-studded anxiety. It unnerved me, trying to comprehend that many stars in the night sky.

The only comparison I had was the awe I'd felt summers at Virginia Beach, watching a horizon comprised only of ocean and sky, and the smallness I would feel in relation. But I had the high rise resorts just behind me to help quell those overwhelming feelings.

I felt really unsettled for months after I moved here. I couldn't bring myself to look up very often -- even though, as a tween amateur astronomy nerd, I would have sworn that I'd gladly give my freedom for the typical night view most natives take for granted in this part of the country (and I cherish my freedom, yo.) I thought I'd never get comfortable with the limitlessness.

Then I went back east for a visit. I hated it. I couldn't get used to not seeing as far out as forever. I didn't like the buildings obscuring the view of the sky. I felt hemmed in, surrounded, suffocated.

It gets under your skin, this wide open, windy, parched, richly-colored, rugged land. Sometimes, you just have to go away to realize it.

No comments:

Post a Comment