Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Hymn

I'm over 40 and I found something that I like...but I'm not sure if I'm "allowed".

I've stumbled upon a band that was unfamiliar to me. I always get a little obsessive every time I discover new music, and I listen repeatedly to the newly discovered stuff -- you know just to make sure, heh. Normally I'm not too uptight about genres and styles; I can find something I like on almost any station on the radio dial. Even with the stuff I don't care for I can usually manage to find something noteworthy or valid about it that I can, at the very least, appreciate.
My first love is Rock and Roll and I thoroughly enjoy Classical; I relax to modern orchestral arrangements (like soundtracks for movies) and even like some Rap. The toughest field for me to mine is Country...but Sugarland kind of helps with that.

I never felt the constraint of propriety on my musical tastes .... Until today.

Following a thread completely unrelated to what I was doing (there was a little reference in someone's icon) I hit youtube and played several selections of music by a band called H.I.M. Anyone under the age of 21 knew (probably -- what do I know?) about this band five years ago, but being that I'm ancient I don't have the same leisure time to scout out the good music -- I just wait until the whipper-snappers mention it in their lj's.

Anyway... this band is usually categorized as .... goth. Oi. I can't even say it any "louder" than that! I'm ...embarrassed. I think...?

The lead singer/songwriter is young enough to be my son... (Okay -- if I gave birth at 12! Let's say...my S.O. if I was Demi Moore! Sounds cooler.)

The members of the band sport multiple tattoos, they cultivate a nappy, I-haven't-showered-or-shaved-in-three-days-and-just-stumbled-off-the-bus-drunk-to-play-this-gig look and did I mention that they are goth? But still -- good music is good music.

I sat down every time I took a little break between projects today, and listened to a different song. I can honestly say that while some of it didn't just whallup me in the solar plexis, a majority of it did.

If you're over 40, and like fresh music... check 'em out. Might I recommend "Love Said No" or "Killing Loneliness" or the acoustic version of "Funeral of Hearts"...?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Solard! I'll give them a listen! I'm pretty eclectic as well...but country makes me want to open a vein....really!

    I'm into Pop, but havent' heard of them. Lately, when I've been in the car (which, as always, is ALOT!) I've been listening to books on CD, kinda digging that! But it invariably means I am doing two/three books at one time! The one I read before bed, and in the tub...and the one I listen to "on the road". I get confused from time to time!

    But I trust you, your judgement, and your "oh-so-funky" hipness...that I am honestly intrigued!

    I generally just pop in Yanni, or soundtrack from Braveheart, or something else with bagpipes! OR hit's from the 70's on my DISH network (although, sigh, I'm an 80's girl!)

    But I do have Gwen Stefani (just to rock out to Hollaback!) and other bizarre stuff!

    Great post! As usual...Makes me want to do a study on one's musical tastes/variations!

    ReplyDelete