Sunday, August 10, 2008

Bernie Mac, Isaac Hayes, and...?

My husband has a good friend, also an alumnus from the acting pool at Disney's Epcot, with whom he shares a limited but spirited email correspondence. The subjects of these emails usually include a 'what I'm up to now' catch-up, a list of some haunted places the friend has researched and the 'Celebrity Triumvirate Deaths' that seem to happen with more regularity the older I get. (or maybe it's just that all my childhood celebs and heros are aging with me...?)

First, Bernie Mac passed on Saturday from complications of pneumonia and left me and I'm sure many of his other fans completely stunned. He was so ...young.

Then tonight, I sit down to the laptop and see that Isaac Hayes was pronounced today at 2:08 pm.

I read Bernie Mac's bio yesterday, and mourned a little. (I can't truly mourn, as I didn't know the man personally. But I always appreciated his 'observation on life' comedy style...and his appreciation for our Libraries. My heart goes out to his family, nonetheless. Read on, Bernie Mac man. Read on.)

It wasn't until tonight, as I was reading some bios and articles about Isaac Hayes that I started getting a little freaked out. In one of the articles, the reporter commented that Mr. Hayes had recently completed a role in a film called Soul Men (scheduled for release in November) with Samuel L. Jackson and... "comedian Bernie Mac who died on Saturday..."

Whoa. Look... I'm kind of -- in spite of my usually no-nonsense, practical faith, and due in large part to a complex mixture of Southern Baptist religion and deeply-entrenched southern spiritualism -- superstitious. A black cat crosses in front of my car? I pull a u-turn. I know it's crazy, but man, it's deep-seated!

My only thought on reading the Soul Men cast list is... Samuel L...Watch your BACK! It's completely irrational, but I'm actually worried about the man! Too many motherf*&%ing deaths in the motherf*&%ing news!

TWO cast members passed away in one weekend. What went on on that set? Was it under a curse? Remember when the little girl from Poltergeist died in that heli- accident? There were rumblings of a 'cursed' set over that incident...

I'm confronted with death in my little, aging small town all the time; I accept it as a natural course of life. But celebrity deaths? They freak me out. They seem so sudden. And they truly seem to happen in threes.

And that? Is just spooky.

No comments:

Post a Comment